Best time for fishing in Murchison Falls National Park – Nile Perch and Vundu Catfish Sport fishing on River Nile
Best time for fishing in Murchison falls – Murchison falls national park is one of the renowned national parks in the Albertine rift valley crossed by the Nile River which is home to the fresh waters largest fish the Nile perch
The park is located northwest of the main capital Kampala about 6-7 hours by road and 1-2 hours by air from Entebbe international airport
Knowing the best time to go fishing is very important for Anglers planning a fishing safari to catch the Nile perch as the weather is one of the key factors that affect the fishing trip
The Nile River starts its journey from Jinja off the lake Victoria and flows south words towards the Murchison falls, The river dissects the park for about 100 km to the Nile Delta which is a huge habitat for the endangered shoebill stork and abundant wildlife like the elephants, giraffes and Uganda Kob
Why it’s not a good idea to go fishing during the rainy season?
- During the rainy season which runs from March to May and from September which sees the river flood with floating weed and milky water making fishing very difficult as the fish baits are very low but you can still catch catfish using meat or dead bait
- Baitfish do not feed in the milky water making it very difficult to catch live baits and that can make fishing difficult
- High water levels during the rainy seasons the river floods and cuts off some fishing spots above the waterfalls so that can affect the Lure fishing in the river
When is the best time to go fishing in Murchison Falls?
The best time for fishing in Murchison falls is from December to February and from June to September when the water levels are low and fishing is at its peak lure fishing between December and February is one of the best on the River
What you expect to catch during your fishing trip in Murchison falls?
The river is home to the Nile perch which one of the fresh waters largest fish and can weigh over 114 kgs, Sudan catfish is a fat looking catfish with a huge head and this can grow over 45 kgs and it can give you a perfect fight during your fishing safari and the Vundu catfish is common below the falls and such a long-bodied fish with a flat head
What to pack for fishing in Murchison falls
The park is dominated by Tsetse flies so what wear is very important as the tsetse flies can bit to irritate since they no longer spread the sleeping sickness here is your list
- Cape or hut
- Light pants and shirts with Nature-friendly colors no blue, black as they attract tsetse flies
- Insect repellent
- hiking boots
- Camera and a portable video camera or I phone can work
- Energy bars
- Enough drinking water as temperatures is high with the low altitude