Kampala city,Kasubi tombs,Uganda National museum,Uganda martyrs shrine,Rubaga cathedral, Namirember cathedral,Kasubu tombs, Markerere University, Lubiri palace.
This is the largest city and the capital of Uganda with over 1,583,000 people by 2017
Kampala city is made up of seven hills and that is Kasubi Hill which harbors Kasubi tombs, Mengo hill this is where the present lubiri which is the Kabaka’s place is located and the headquarters of Buganda parliament (Bulange), it also has Buganda court of justice and the lukiiko, Kibuli hill this is home of the Kibuli mosque for Muslims, Namirembe hill this is the home of the Anglican cathedral, Rubaga hills this is home of the Catholics with their cathedral and this was home of white fathers, Nsambya hill this was where the mill hill mission was. It’s now houses Nsambya hospital and the Kampala hill is also known as the Old Kampala, the name Kampala came from impala since this hill was originally the home of impalas. Kampala ate up other hills of Nakasero, Mbuya that resulted into Kampala city.
Uganda National Museum: This is located along Kira road 3 kilometers from the heart of Kampala city center. 1908 the Uganda National Museum was established with assortments of items from traditional chiefs. This museum holds items of Uganda’s history, natural historical samples, archaeological art facts and musical instruments.
Kasubi tombs: These are found on Kasubi hill and they are 5 kilometers on Kampala Hoima road. This is a place where previous Kabakas (Kings) of Buganda Kingdom were laid to rest/ buried. The following are some of those Kabakas (Kings) buried in Kasubi tombs and their years of rule, Mutesa I ruled from 1856-1884, Daudi Chwa ruled from 1899-1939, Muteesa II ruled from 1939-1966 and Mwanga from 1884-1897. Kasubi tombs have the biggest burial tomb in Africa. There are some small other tombs in Buganda but as used as residents for care takers and houses for some of the Buganda Kingdom regalia.
The scrupulous architecture of the large tomb and the smaller hats is what mostly tourists admire to see in this place. The detailed observation of pictures, regalia and stories of former Kings’ accompanied by history of Buganda has attracted a million tourists to the tombs.
Uganda martyrs shrine Namugongo. This is the most distinguished shrine in Uganda and its located along Kampala Jinja highway. This shrine is considered to be one of the most important site among African Christians.it is believed that 32 young Christian converts together with Anglicans were martyred here on refusal to denounce Christianity, which was spreading like wild fire in Uganda from 1870. This angered Kabaka Mwanga who was there by that time that prompted him to order for their execution. 32 men were believed to have been executed on 3rd/June/ 1886.
Rubaga Cathedral: This is located on one of the hills making up Kampala city and that is Rubaga hill. It is 5 kilometers northwest of the city center. This cathedral is taken to be the home of the roman cardinal of the Catholic Church in Uganda. Rubaga hill was the place of the former palace of Mutesa I but his successor Mwanga donated it to Bishop hirth in 1889. This Cathedral was opened up on 31st/October/1925.
Bahai Temple: This Temple is located on Kikaya hill and its 7km away from Kampala city centre on Gayaza road. Bahai Temple is the only Bahai faith Temple in the whole of Africa. This temple attracts followers of Bahai faith from all the corners of the world. The beautiful scenery of Kampala view surrounding this temple attracts people to come for both prayers and medication.
Namirembe Cathedral: This is located on Namirembe hill which is directly opposite to Rubaga hill. This is where the Anglican archbishop of church of Uganda resides. Kabaka Muteesa I donated this hill to the early missionaries in 1877, and the church was put into place in 1880. The Cathedral then followed to be constructed in 1890.
Kibuli Mosque: This is one of the most beautiful views of Kampala. This is found on Kibuli hill and was the first home of Muslims in Uganda prince Badru Kakungulu a Buganda royal and a colonial collaborator owned most of the land on this hill and he was the person that donated the land top which was 3973 feet to Muslims to construct a mosque which they did and still exists beautifully.
Gadaffi Mosque: This is termed as the National Mosque and its located on Kampala hill which is also called Old Kampala. This mosque was completed in 2006 with a sitting capacity of 5000 people and can also hold other 1100 in the gallery, but also the terrace can accommodate another 3500 people. The late colonel Muammar Gaddaffi the former president of Libya constructed this mosque as a gift to Uganda but indeed for Ugandan Muslims.
Makerere University: This University seats on Makerere hill and it is 3km north the Kampala city centre. This university is the main higher learning institution and the largest in Uganda. At first this was a technical school in 1922but later in 1963 it was transformed into a university of east African region with ability to offer courses leading to a general degree from university of London. It later became a fully independent national university in 1970 when the University Of East Africa was split into three independent universities that’s university of Nairobi, (Kenya) university of Dar e salaam (Tanzania) and Makerere university. Makerere University was a home to many prominent African leaders for example Milton Obote (Uganda), Julius Nyerere (Tanzania), and many other alumni.
Mulango Hospital. This hospital is located 3.5 km away north east of the heart of Kampala city center. Originally this hospital was a treatment center that started in 1913, it was later constructed fully in 1950. the major attractions at this hospitals are the architectural buildings and research.
Independence monument. This is located along speak road opposite Standard Chartered bank, the British Colonial government funded the construction of this independence monument in the days of leading up to Ugandans first independence day celebrations on October 9th 1962. The depicting man unwrapping his child and raising it to touch the sky, this towering sculpture signifies a new born country that is being released from bondages of colonization. The monument is made out of cement, sand, iron bars and wire mesh. This whole work of building this monument was done by a man called Gregory Maroba, a Luhya sculptor from Kenya who tought and studied at makerere university from 1939-1965.
Lubiri Palace/ Mengo Palace.this is the royal compound for the kabaka of Buganda kingdom. Its located in Mengo, this mornarchy dates back almost 800 years . this palace was constructed by Daniel Basamula ekere Mwanga II and was the 31st Kabaka of Buganda. The palace measures a 4 square miles in size. Its fenced with a six –foot brick fence and has a small air strip within it.
Kabaka’s lake. This lake is mam made lake in the country. This lake is found in the township of Ndeeba which is close to 5 km away from Kampala city center in the west, on old Masaka road. This lake was constructed under the orders of Kabaka Mwanga II who was the king of Buganda by that time. The 52 distinct Buganda kingdom clans consider it sacred and used to always mobilize their people to clean it. There are several cottages constructed to offer accommodation, there are some activities done on this lake as you will be told by the guide available.
Sir Albert Cook Site. The year of 1896 when the church missionary society sought missionaries to come to Uganda , Sir Albert Cook volunteered to take on this job. They used a sea to sail and they landed in Mombasa after two months. They rested in Mombasa for another two months and they later mobilized their 500 porters for the caravan, Albert Cook embarked on over 1,360 mile trek to Kampala arriving after 3 months. 1897 he established Mengo hospital which is the oldest hospital in East Africa. He later married Katherine Timpson, a missionary nurse in 1900 with whom they had two daughters and a son, Sir Albert Cook site is located in Mengo, Kampala.